Thursday, June 24, 2010

6/22 Half Price Books N Lamar

Yeah... I listened to Exile In Guyville all day at work. I couldn't help but get whip smart and I've known it was there for quite some time.

Records--
Whip Smart by Liz Phair -- 20
Scott Joplin (performed by Dick Hyman) -- 3
Count Meets the Duke First Time by Count Basie and Duke Ellington -- 10
Blaze by Herman's Hermits -- 5
Hello Dolly by Louis Armstrong -- 6

Ok... So Whip Smart is totally underrated. It's hard to follow up from guyville but, guyville had the advantage of taking any of the songs from girlysound so it's not really fair (no pun intended). Still, if you're going to complain that the version of whip smart is "ingenuous" or "ironic" because it has animal sounds, you should be complaining that phair totally didn't do the second section of Girls! Girls! Girls! or she didn't mimic the stones on Shatter. So it's sort of give and take. If you want the girlysound versions, listen to that, but if you want something else, give Whip smart a shot.

Scott Joplin... yeah. I went through the jazz section because there was a guy hovering over the s' (he was looking for styx... ew....) Anyways. It was pretty cheap and it's pretty good.

Yeah I really dig duke ellington and this collaboration is pretty cool. It's got both band's sort of signature tracks (take the A train and jumpin at the woodside) so it's cool.

I think the best one of the jazz records that I got was Hello Dolly. I mean sure it's not the classic armstrong of the twenties or anything like that but it is really good all around. It's sort of weird to think that Louis was 63 years old when he made it, but it's whatever I guess.

The herman's hermits album is a little bit harder to explain. I got it for two reasons: 1) Joey ramone once described punk as "a sixties rip-off band" and mentioned HH and 2) The cover is bad ass. I've been really digging the 60's lately and the kaleidoscopic cover got me. Music wise it's pretty standard for the time which isn't bad, although expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment