Friday, June 11, 2010

6/11 Waterloo Records

First off let me start by saying that waterloo records is my favorite record store for reissues. They've got a really good selection and their labels make it really easy to go through stuff really fast. However I do have some problems... I don't understand how they can have every other reissue by 4 men with beards, except judee sill... come on! Also... what is it with reissues costing more than 15 bucks? I saw a reissue of cat steven's Mona Bone Jakon going for 20 bucks when they had a perfectly good used copy for 4. I can understand profit, but did it really cost 15 bucks to make a record? Cat stevens isn't that hard to find, so there's no reason for a 20 dollar price tag.

Anyways on to the records...

Wowee Zowee by Pavement -- 14
Brighten the Corners by Pavement --10
Dreamy by Beat Happening -- 14
Blues and Roots by Charlie Mingus -- 12
Odessa by The Brothers Gibb -- 5
Who Are You -- 4
Jump! by Van Dyke Parks --4

Ok... so I think the pavement albums are the most obvious. What's not to like about pavement? Lo fi-ish... Fun... Indie rock... What more could a girl want? Anyways, Brighten the Corners is my favorite, Wowee's number two. I'll probably pick up Terror Twilight sometime in the near future.

Dreamy. The second to last beat happening album. I really liked You Turn Me On, Black Candy still but less so. I figure this album should hopefully be a nice in between.

Now for the kicker. That's Right... A JAZZ RECORD... I NEVER see Mingus anywhere, but he definitely is my favorite jazz musician. I got this one because it was the one I was least familiar with (I had already heard the clown and Philanthropus erectus). Anyways it has moaning so I'm looking forward to it.

Now for the used records. This copy of odessa is freakish. Odessa was a double album but this is a single lp. It turns out in the late seventies when they did another pressing, they decided to cut down to one disc. I guess that's what you get when the original has a felt cover with golden letters.

Who are you? Who couldn't use some more of the who? "The last reasonably interesting who record"--AMG

Ok... now for the real find. Jump! by Van Dyke Parks. I got into VDP when I was into smile, the brian wilson album where vdp wrote the words. Song Cycle is really good just because it makes you think about structure. That album is due for a reissue!

see you in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment