Friday, May 7, 2010

5/7 Half Price Parmer Lane ATX!

Ok... So here's a new blog for you. I'll go to record stores and tell you what I get.

Today I went to the half price books on parmer lane. They didn't have a lot of records in comparison to other 1/2 price books, but all of the ones on the shelves were in really good condition. I did notice a lot of records that I usually find in clearance were up on the shelves, i.e. rod stewart, barry manilow, doobie brothers, kenny loggins and all the yatch rock ilk. They only had one beatles record (magical mystery tour for 50 bucks???), one stones record (emotional rescue), and one byrds records (best of). Also, the pricing seemed more unusual. I saw laura nyro's fourth record for 8 bucks, a record I usually see in clearance for a dollar. But they did have some newer records which surprised me such as the silver jews latest.

Anyways... to the records.
Here, My Dear by Marvin Gaye ---5 bucks
Cities In Dust by Siouxsie and the Banshees --- 4 bucks
Like a Prayer by Madonna --- 8 bucks
First Songs by Laura Nyro --- 4 bucks

Of these, I have only heard Laura Nyro's First Songs. Laura Nyro was a Brooklyn songwriter who garnered attention when other acts, most notably The 5th Dimension and Peter, Paul, and Mary, covered her songs. As far as this album goes, it's actually a re-issue of her first lp "more than a new discovery". The songs are pretty standard for what will become her style, however, she did not have as much creative control as Herb Bernstein. However, her next couple of albums are really good, especially if you enjoy people like Carole King and Judee Sill i.e. female singer-songwriters. If you're looking to get into Laura Nyro, pick up her second album Eli and the Thirteenth Confession.

Like a Prayer is really cool. I haven't seen any copies before going to this half price, so I definitely wanted to pick it up. It's got some good songs such as the title track, express yourself, and cherish. I can't wait to listen to it.

I bought the Siouxsie and the Banshees record because I knew they were a punk band and I thought it was an album. However, it is a 12 inch single and apparently their first single in the US released by geffen. Judging by what I've read it sounds like it may be a cure-ish song, but who knows. I thought pavement was a heavy metal band when I first heard of them.

The real find of this trip was Here, My Dear. I've wanted to hear this record every since my good friend Chris recommended it to me. I haven't seen a lot of Gaye records through my years of searching, maybe because I go to stores in the suburbs, but that's how it is. Marvin Gaye recorded this album while he was going through a divorce with Barry Gordy's sister, Anna Gordy. The artwork on this album is phenomenal, so definitely check out some images of the cover. The only problem I have with this purchase is that one one side of the jacket the bottom is torn... but that can easily be fixed with some rubber cement or another adhesive.

Well that's all for the first time. I hope you've enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. I always thought pavement was hard rock or something too. Probably because pavement is really hard.

    ReplyDelete