Thursday, May 20, 2010

5/20 Half Price Bedford

I had an all right run tonight. I've been going to the Bedford Half Price books for years. It's sort of the only place I buy records back home. This is the store with the pricing and selection I'm most used to. It was really wierd today though. They had no beatles records and no rolling stones. But they have been more organized recently. And of course, you can find every kenny loggins record ever made in clearance.

The Records:
Emotional Rescue by Stones--4
Misfits by Kinks --4
I Was Made To Love Her by Stevie Wonder -- 1
Abandoned Luncheonette by Hall and Oates -- 1
Main Course by BeeGees -- 1
Children of the World by the BeeGees -- 1

So let's start with the kinks. As previously mentioned, Misfits is around the era of the kinks trying to be arena rockers. The most common ones that you find are around this era which is unfortunate. While, as a friend pointed out to me, Ray Davies' songwriting didn't change dramatically after Everybody's In Showbiz, I still like the juicy late 60's period the best. Though this album sounds good thus far.

I've seen Main Course so many times that it's impossible to count. If you every pay full price for this record you should just send your money to me. Known as the album where the brothers gibb went disco. Children of the world is the album immediately afterward. Once again, main course and many of the albums afterward can be found in clearance pretty easily. Unfortunatley I just discovered that my copy of main course is warped. Which brings be to a good point, ALWAYS PLAY THE RECORDS BEFORE YOU BUY THEM. Unless you're fine with losing a dollar... which I will probably make my brother pay.

Which brings me to another point. I recently got a Vestax handy trax turntable. It's pretty sturdy and it has pretty much everything you would want in a portable unit. I've read reviews that are critical of internal speaker but I'm ok with it. If you want you can hook up headphones.

Abandoned Luncheonette is Hall and Oates' second album. It's pretty cool. I mean hall and oates are the bad boys of smooth music. HALL AND OATES!

Emotional Rescue is exactly the sort of album that you would expect the stones to make pretty much after exile with the exception of tattoo you and some girls... i.e. a couple good songs but pretty much average. I really wanted some stones but they didn't have any besides this one and Got Live If You Want It and I'm not really in the mood for live recordings, especially one of that era stones for 15 bucks. It was real unfortunate because this other place I went to had a copy of goat's head soup, which I would have preferred over emotional rescue.

The real find o the day was the stevie wonder record. Sure they had a lot of other albums, but this early one was in clearance so it's all the better. Interestingly enough they had a copy of the Beach Boys Wild Honey, which has a cover of the titular track. It's classic motown.

Well that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment