Saturday, May 29, 2010

5/29 Breakaway Records

I know I've already talked about them, but they have a really good selection. I mean every time I go in they have kinks, beatles, and stones. And on their expensive rack there is usually something I want. I don't remember if I said this or not but... at Breakaway, you get what you pay for. Case in point, I was looking for the white album for a friend of mine. They had two, one was ten dollars, one was four. The ten dollar one was in much better shape than the four dollar one.

Ok... so the records:
Abbey Road -- 12
White album --10
Surf's Up by the Beach Boys--5
Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens -- 5
Darkhorse by George Harrison -- 3

There is nothing I can say about the Beatles that you don't already know. I'm most interested in about help onward. I don't know, out of the 3 big british groups (beatles, kinks, and stones), I don't find myself interested in any of their really early stuff. Sure there are some good singles but eh...

Surf's Up is a more interesting subject. It's sort of a forgotten album of the beach boys (let's admit it, everything before and after Pet Sounds and not a single has been pretty much forgotten.) But it's pretty sweet because after Brian Wilson's freak out, all of the beach boys have so much more character. I mean you get to see people like Carl stepping up to the plate more, which is really cool. Also, the one track from smile (the title track) is an excellent addition as well.

Tea for the Tillerman is the album Cat Stevens is most known for. In recent years it's gotten more press because the flaming lips got sued for Flight Test sounding so similar to Father and Son. Over all the album is a pretty solid folk affair. Did you know cat stevens drew the cover????

Lastly, Darkhorse. Remember when I said you get what you pay for? Well a bunch of the jacket is ripped off... it's really weird. But anyways. This album was after a couple albums-- Live in Bangladesh, Living in the Material World. It was mediocre.. Sure it has George's signature slide work, but he had laryngitis at the time of the recording. Still... I'll probably end up listening to it a couple of times, and three bucks was pretty good, I've seen it go for around 10.

If you go to breakaway go through their recent arrivals section, they get a lot in and I found most of the records there.

No comments:

Post a Comment