Thursday, October 7, 2010

Review again

Ok lauren.... another two.

I originally thought that Edgar Winter's White Trash would be a good sleazy funk album... I was wrong. First off it's a Blue Eyed Soul album and while I love that genre (well sometimes) as much as the next this record has some problems. The first of which is a pretty big one--- There are really only 3 songs. Maybe studying computers has made me a nihilist reductionary but it's true. The first is the sort of classic horns good time feeling one. The second is the piano with the gospel-esque chior in the background with a bunch of soloists shrieking. The third is a combination of the two. It just ends up feeling really awkward. A lot of people hate on young americans but I feel like that album is much more substantive than this one.

Now on to Kimono in My House by Sparks. This album is great because it's from when the Sparks Brothers were back in their prime. Let's face it, my first Sparks album, Angst In My Pants, has several weak spots (I'm looking at you "I Predict", "Nicotina", and "Tarzan And Jane"), but in the jolly old UK the Sparks aren't sparking around. Each song is zany and the band is in top form. Also the guitar-keyboard conflict is not at an all time high (i.e. the synths haven't made their move yet , so much so that the guitars must strike back in the previous album mentioned). Bravo brothers mael, way to freak out those glam rock kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment