Tuesday, July 6, 2010

7/6 Waterloo and WTF

WTF NEW LIZ PHAIR ALBUM.... I don't know what to make of Bollywood. I listened to it like twenty times and I didn't know if I liked it or not. I mean I know it's her sense of humor, but what if she actually thinks this is a good song to start off with? I mean if it's a throwaway then the rest of the album could be great? I'm so confused... I'll be "borrowing" a "friend's" "copy" then deciding later.


Records--
Highway 61 Revisited -- 20
Zen Arcade by Husker Du -- 13
New Day Rising by Husker Du -- 10
Clear Spot by Captian Beefheart -- 12
Song Cycle by Van Dyke Parks -- 20

All of these were reissues.

Yeah... I feel like I need to sort of have more "classic" albums and I'm severely lacking in the dylan department. I would have gotten Blonde on Blonde but they wanted 30 bucks for it. So I got this one instead. Someone said that this is the album where dylan gave up being a troubadour for becoming a hipster. I heart hipsters.

Ok... Zen arcade is one of the three most important double albums of the 80s. The other two being Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation and the Minutemen's Double Nickles on the Dime. SST has been reissuing all of their stuff really cheap lately so it was a good find. New Day Rising is the album right afterward. It's more poppy. I want to say Zen was recorded in a ridiculously short amount of time, like two weeks. The minutemen were jealous so they did double nickles in like 3 nights or something like that. I think "Take That Huskers!" is somewhere on the album. Then sonic youth jumped on the bandwagon because they wrote too many songs for a single after listening to dinosaur jr.

Clear spot is another beefheart record. It doesn't have drumbo on it, so that's unfortunate but it does have a lot of good songs on it such as Low Yo Yo Stuff, Nowadays a Woman's Gotta Hit a Man, and Big Eyed Beans from Venus.

Song Cycle is one of the greatest albums of the 60's if not all time. The songs fly around in a chaotic beautiful mess. Van Dyke Parks is a genius, that's the simplest way to put it. However he can be too smart for his own good, I mean was it really necessary to have a song called Van Dyke Parks by Public Domain as well as Public Domain by Van Dyke Parks? Anyways... it's lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment