Thursday, July 22, 2010

7/22 Antones

I felt bad because I walked there and bought a plastic 7' sleeve with pennies. They don't have any paper sleeves two weeks later.

Records
Odessa (again) by the BeeGees -- 20
Bringing It All Back Home by Dylan -- 13
Who's Next -- 8
Wild Honey by the Beach Boys -- 8
Young Americans by Bowie -- 15

How can you say no to a double album with a felt cover? yes felt! I got this one already but it was only a one album version. Who cuts down a double album on a reissue? Anyways, Odessa (with Blonde on Blonde and the White Album) is the essential double album of the 60's. Finished the 80's. Now I need to discover the 70's.

Bringing It All Back Home is sort of the start of bob dylan going electric. Sort of the first of the trilogy the other two being highway 61 revisted and blonde on blonde. So yeah... good stuff.

I feel like Who's Next is sort of the only who album I'm interested in. It's a classic. But I might feel like my desire to hear the garage rock genius that is pete townshend might endear me less to it.

I've been looking for Wild Honey ever since I heard a friend's and friends do a raunchy cover of it. It's a really good album though. This album was right after smiley smile. I mean by this time Brian had totally freaked out and you can tell by this album that there was going to be a huge difference in the beach boys.

I've recently discovered that since bowie changes styles so often that each album can be described thusly: Bowie does (insert genre here). For example, ziggy stardust is bowie does glam, alladin sane = bowie does glam, AGAIN, berlin trilogy=bowie does Kraut Rock (part 1,2, and 3), etc... Well young americans is bowie does funk/soul/r&b. Yeah... Fame was co-written by John Lennon and james brown ripped it off. Also it's got luther vandross (fo those in the know). So check it out.

later

2 comments:

  1. I know you've bought more since then!! More reviews!
    At least tell us about Meg Christian and her lezzie counterpart.
    Or UFO.
    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my friend tells me The Jam is like the end all be all of British rock. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete